Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Start of Something New

I’ve decided that in order to keep myself accountable to updating my blog, I should start a weekly segment that I will have to update every week. I figured I would use this post to share thoughts and ideas that I have found impactful/moving/interesting/thought provoking/you get the picture over the past week. Some will be original lines (although they will usually get their inspiration from some outside source), and others will be direct quotations that I thought were important enough to post directly as-is. In order to do this and stick with an alliterative theme, I am calling the new weekly update “Thursday’s Thoughts.”

My first Thought comes from a book I read last week called The Power of Words and the Wonder of God. It is an excellent book that really challenged the way I think about words. This list is inspired by Justin Taylor’s writing on the first few chapters of Genesis in the book’s introduction, but it is not the exact same list. I have compiled this one after reading Genesis 1-3 on my own. So here is this Thursday’s Thought:

In the first 3 chapters of Genesis, words are used to:
-Create
-Give order
-Bless
-Give life
-Lead
-Command
-Express love
-Rejoice
-Thank
-Deceive
-Tempt
-Curse
-Protect
-Ask questions
-Give Answers
-Show God's glory
-Cast doubt on God's goodness
-Cause division
-Bring restoration
-Make Excuses
-Give hope
WORDS ARE IMPORTANT! USE THEM WISELY!

2 comments:

  1. I'm reminded of Tripp's "War of Words". Words have enormous power. To use them in a manner that shed's the light of God's truth on lives and situations is our challenge as believers. It think it helps to constantly ask ourselves, "What does God have to say about this?" before opening our own mouths. A real challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tripp actually wrote the first chapter of "The Power of Words and the Wonder of God."

    ReplyDelete