Thursday, February 10, 2011

Third Thursday's Thought

Well, I’m back in Hong Kong, and my time in China has given me a lot to think about. I plan to write more about my trip (and include a few pictures) when I have more time, but for this Thursday’s thought, I have decided to share one of my most impactful thoughts from my trip to China.

On Monday, the day we (my friend Alfred and I) arrived in China, we dropped our luggage off in our room, grabbed lunch, then came back to our room and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. I love to read, so relaxation time for me meant reading time. Although China limits the number of books they allow you to bring into China with you, they do allow you to bring books into China as long as they are for personal use and not for distribution. Because of that, I was able to bring my Bible and my Kindle into China without a problem. At one point during my reading Monday afternoon, I began to read the Bible. About a sentence into my reading, I was struck with the realization that there have been numerous people in China who have been sent to jail—even within my lifetime—for doing the exact thing that I was doing at that moment. I then realized that in all my life, I have never had to worry about reading my Bible. I can bring it with me wherever I want, and I don’t have to fear being arrested for being in possession of it. Really, the biggest “threat” I’ve ever faced from reading my Bible is that someone would see me reading it and think I was weird or a loser for reading it. I also realized that because of this, I have, throughout my life, taken my ability to read the Bible (on every level: from having the ability to read, to having proper translations of the Bible in my language, to having the freedom where I lived to be able to read the Bible with no fear of arrest, etc.) largely for granted. I was humbled by the fact that I possess multiple copies and translations of God’s revelation of Himself to mankind, and rather than treasuring that reality, I treat it as petty and insignificant; I take it for granted. This realization challenged me to view my Bible differently and gave me a whole new perspective on how great the freedoms are that God has given us. I hope it challenges and encourages you as well.

2 comments:

  1. We in America are fortunate indeed. I need to mention that I LOVE your profile pic. here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Eric! Reading Christian biographies has made me appreciate the value of memorization... not single verses, but entire passages, chapters and books. Being able to recall God's Word, especially from prison, has kept many a believer strong. I am so used to having instant access to multiple forms of Scripture, I don't really appreciate the value and importance of memorization. In the 1st & 2nd Century church people knew Scripture so incredibly well because they memorized it. Every home did not have access to written copies. This is an area I seriously fall short in. Your reminder inspires me to work at it with more diligence. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete